Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

The Luckiest Writer in the World


The Carnegie Library in Washington Court House is full of creative kids and terrific librarians. How do I know? Because last week my dear friend Kathy (who is also a writer) and I traveled there to conduct a creative writing workshop.

We braindropped. We painted with words. We used our senses to create the most descriptive showing sentences you've ever seen. And most of all, we had fun.

Every time I spend an hour or two with kids, I'm reminded why I love to write so much and why I'm so inspired by kids. They have more creativity in their thumbs than I have stashed in my very old memory. All Kathy and I have to do is create an environment that says, "What you have to say is valued and respected and we are honored when you share it with us!"

The children's department at Carnegie is lucky. Their children's librarian, Anne Quinn, is the kind of educator all children deserve to have. She brought out the best in me, so it's easy to see why kids flock to the children's department. Her rich laughter is contagious. If I were a kid, I'd park myself as close to Anne as I could get and soak in every book she suggested I might like to read.

My guess is that if the kids in Washington Court House like to do journal writing, half their journals would mention Anne, the library, and summer fun.

My school visits are over for the summer. Now it's on to more library visits. I think I'm the luckiest writer in the world!

6 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

Oh, I wish I'd known you were so close. Ali would have loved to meet you. Me too!

cheyarL said...

how cool for the kids and you, will be back to learn about journals too...glad I found this blog

Sandy said...

So cool! Love the picture of you and kids. Everyone looks like they're having such a good time. I know these kids will remember you for years.

Congrats Jan! Keep up the awesome work

Hugs
Sandy
pssssssssss, we've crossed a milestone over on the Bridge...check it out

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Jan
The picture of you and the kids was FANTASTIC.
Sure looks like it was GOOD TIMES.
Well now, what can this little puggie face learn from you?
Teach me something!
What do you want me to do?
your new admirer
love
tweedles

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Great photos, Jan. And what fun it sounds.

:-)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Jan
Tee hee!!
This will be like going to summer school!
I am so excited.
Here is my little poem about me.

Tweedles looks like a cute baby monkey
She smells like bubble gum
She sounds like a seagull with its mouth stuffed full of crackers.
She tastes like strawberry shortcake
She feels like the softest velvet ever
Tweedles make me want to giggle!

I am giggleing right now
xoxox
tweedles

Followers