Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Start It!

Stories are so much fun. Often, I'll write the ending of a story before the beginning. Why? Because it gives me direction. It gives me someplace to go. Does my ending always stay the same? No. But it can.

Writers: Give it a try. I've written the ending of a story (one I actually wrote ages ago) below. You write the beginning and middle. A short paragraph or two to will fill in the gaps and give the ending some meaning.

After you're done, I'll tell you what the story was really about and who I wrote it for...actually, you do some writing and on Thursday I'll post my original story in its entirety. It will be fun to see the different directions we can go!

As usual, parents, you can talk this through with your kids. Let them help you. Make it a joint effort. Share the fun and love of writing together.


Here's the ending for you:

My hands were shaking like a washing machine out of balance as I reached out to hand her the crumpled up note. "We think this m-m-might be yours," I stammered. Hattie started to turn on heel and slam the door, but something made her change her mind. Her withered hand took the note from me, and as she begin to read, tears fell from her eyes and softened her wrinkled face.

"Thank you," she said.

It was as simple as that.

6 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Such a good idea, Jan. I've so many beginings on my computer that starting with the endings will even things out a bit.

Ali said...

I will be back tomorrow to write the story.

I have an award waiting for you.
~Ali~

Jan Mader said...

Why thank you Ali! I'll be there to pick it up soon. I'm honored! Jan

Anonymous said...

No ideas must think more on it and perhaps come back when I have more time

Unknown said...

Wow, that's an excellent idea. I'll let you know when I'm done:)

troutbirder said...

My last ending was... "Don't worry dear I'm hear to protect you." Thats right! I da man.

Followers