Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Five Words....

Five words can tell a lot. They can paint an honest to goodness picture when you throw in a little imagination. My daughter-in-law is a second grade teacher. She asked her students to use only five words to tell about themselves. You may think that's not a lot, but it is...especially if you can read between the lines. One boy in her class wrote: My dad is in jail. Those five words told me a lot about this young man. They painted a picture of his life for me.

Since I'm all about quick activities, let's try this one ourselves.
Writers, use five words to tell me about yourself. I'll go first: I'll keep trying and trying!! What does that tell you about me?

Your turn, you got next! If you feel like writing more after your five words, go for it, especially if you're having fun.

Teachers and parents, as usual, you can do this activity orally or in written form. Don't forget to model the exercise first or you'll get responses like: I have long brown hair. That's not the kind of picture we want to paint!

Rejoice in the good time that a simple writing exercise can offer and please share your five little words. Let us all read between the lines!

15 comments:

Sandy said...

I can't think right now, just battled lots of html to fix some problems. Maybe tomorrow my brain will think of 5 words. Right now...

Out of wine, bed time.

Now there's a picture.

Hugs
Sandy

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

'I am doing my best.'

My heart went out to that young man in your daughter-in-law's class. The wee soul.

ande said...

My spirit spiritually guides me.

ande said...

My spirit gets distracted easily.

Amber said...

With love, they grow perfectly.

Anonymous said...

I believe I can fly.

(I think I stole that from a song...)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

I'm traveling barefoot through life.

(Feeling the soft cool blades of grass with the occasional sticker or two. Ouch! I think I've found a sticker patch! ;)

Angela said...

I have been set free.

Angela said...

Food no longer controls me.

Maggie said...

Wishful thinking makes things happen :-)

Andi Carter said...

"Your example has eight words."

What did your example tell me about you? That you can't count? LOL


Seriously, Jan, you make me tired. You always have a fun thing happening here. I'm scrambling to do the revisions on my manuscript so I can send it in next week. My editor has "hinted" twice. *sigh* No blogging; No facebook; no nothing . . .

Glue Girl said...

Learn something new every day.

Glue Girl said...

Hi, Jan. I'm hoping now to have my surgery before the end of March. The nutritionist just turned in her report on Friday, which was bad of her. I don't want to be out when my students take the OAT on April 20th because I think my proximity makes them think better! However, I have been telling them that I MAY be gone then and have been making them promise me to reread, reread, reread! So then I'm thinnking, hmn, maybe the idea that they can "do it for me since I'm sick" could work in my favor. Is that tricky or what (grin)? Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I will post pics of the new babies tomorrow. I don't like to stress momma too much on the first day. It is so funny when they have three b/c you know that goats can't count, but they sure know where those babies are every minute. This one is very good about us holding her babes. Some of the goats freak out if you hold them for even a second!

Jenn said...

Drive me sane, pretty please.

Christine said...

Too much on my plate.

or slightly more whimsical ...

A scattered brain, (an) organized desk.

[ I took a small liberty to make it grammatically corrected ... I was pretending articles didn't add to my word count. ]

Followers