Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tell a whopper....

Here's a great exercise to get some creative juices flowing. Tell lies. Yes, I said it...tell lies. Whoppers in fact. You can tell really big whoppers about fishing trips, the weather, eating, singing....ANYTHING at all. Your whoppers can be really fun to write. Kids love whoppers. Adult writers often start their stories with whoppers.

Why not write a few whoppers now and see what happens. Here, I'll give you some starter sentences. See what you come up with!

Today is hotter than....
She was so slow that....
My mother likes to ......
I made more money than you would ever dream of just by.....
It's hard to believe that my old friend.....
Yesterday I saw a duck.....

Teachers, you can adjust these starter sentences for your students. If your students are young, do this exercise orally. Once again, you'll begin to create that love of language. Words will tumble. Laughter will follow.

Parents, this is a great activity for a long car trip. Think up a few sentences in advance to get your car game rolling.

Writers, see how far you can get into a story just by starting out with your very own whopper. Have fun!

9 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

This sounds like great fun. Children have such great imaginations, I'm sure they won't need much persuading to join in this game.

:-)

Annie Wicking said...

This sound like lots of fun for everyone, Jan.

Best wishes and thank you for sharing a cuppa with me. ;-)

Annie

Stacey Kimmel-Smith said...

I applaud your efforts to encourage writing! I'm a librarian at a university in NE PA, and many faculty lament that student writing skills are not where they should be.

Sandy said...

Cool thingy on your site...I rated you a 5!

A whopper hun...
She was soooooooooo slow that she couldn't get up out the computer chair to do anything like cleaning.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sandy

Sandy said...

Forgot to remind you to make yourself a follwering on the suitcase blog. Hum...where will I travel tomorrow.

Pop in and see
http://travelsuitcase.blogspot.com

All are invited

Andi Carter said...

I put up my Show and Tell. So if you come on over you can see how to get to the host site. Then if you have something special to share tomorrow, you can add it to the Mr. Linky! Good luck. Hope to see you at Show and Tell tomorrow!
(Mary puts up the Show and Tell on Fridays, so it won't be there tonight yet).

Andi Carter said...

I saw your name on the Mr. Linky at mary's site. But it won't load to here. I had to come over to my blogspot to see you. But NONE of the Blogspots are loading from mary's site tonight. I wonder what the problem is . . .

Andi Carter said...

I deleted my Suzy's Scribbles blog over here and put up a "Wholesome Books for Kids" blog instead. I'm getting techy! Whoo-hoo. Come on over and click "Follow me" so I can see how it works. :-)

Glue Girl said...

Wow, Jan! Some of my students are already good at this ;-} Seriously, my class is wonderful! They would have fun with this because they are a humorous group.

Followers