Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

What Do You See?



Pictures evoke all kinds of thoughts. They can stir up our emotions or make us feel peaceful and calm.


If we can be in the moment, images can take us anywhere we want to go. Sound contradictory? Look at the photo and then close your eyes and let your mind wander...for a moment.

How do you feel? Do you want to reflect on the past or plan for the future? Do the colors in the picture make you feel happy or angry? Enthusiastic or lazy? If you let your mind's eye take over, what is happening? Exactly what are you thinking about right now as you look at the picture?
Our writing activity is simple:
Give this photo a caption.
I'll go first. My caption is: There's always tomorrow.
Your turn. What's your caption for this picture?
Teachers: Good creative writing is based on a combination of wonderful imagination and eventually... technique. Stir up your students' imaginations with this activity. Ask your kids to bring in photos from home or magazines. You bring in some too. Promote words. Champion word play. Have fun with writing!



15 comments:

Jan Mader said...

My caption for the photo is:

There's always tomorrow.

That was the first thought that came to my mind because the photograph seemed hopeful to me. I'm sure I'll think of more captions as I revisit the picture!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

That photo is stunning Jan.

Caption: the end of the world.

X

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Day is done.

God's watercolor palette.

This photo is incredible.
It relaxed and delighted. The colors pull you in with their richness.

CATachresis said...

I'm looking into the fuchsia!

What a stunning picture! Makes me feel warm and loved :>)

DJan said...

Sometimes gold is meant to be savored, not worn.

I see hope and peace in that beautiful picture. Thanks for finding it, and sharing it with me!

Jan Mader said...

I actually thought my husband took this photo. He's big into sunsets and sunrises. He just told me he DIDN'T take the photo.

Maybe next week I'll use one of his!

In any case, the photo's beautiful and you've come up with captions that are wonderful. Each time I read another comment I think, "YES! That's what the caption should be!"

From lighthearted to serious, even the captions change how I feel about the photo. Interesting and thought provoking for sure...

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

I've been there before and I want to go back there ... now!

SquirrelQueen said...

Tears formed in the artist's eyes as he gazed on the beauty of the setting sun. He knew he could never recreate the magic of this moment on mere canvas.

Ziggy Stardust said...

The majesty of God was the first thing that came to my mind.

Anne

Kathleen Jones said...

Every day is a blessing!
I am reminded of this with the colors of the sunset.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Yesterday,
I heard the sea singing,
Today,
I saw the sky sing,
Tonight,
the clouds will sing,
And the mountains will join in,
as the carrousel of time
brings a new song
to the new season
we just need
to listen.

Maria said...

It's stunning!

Caption: Magical Moment!!

Rizzi said...

WITH THE BRIGHT LIGHT FROM THE SUN, AND THE EXQUISTE SHADE OF PINK...

PINK SKIES FROM THE RISING SUN...

Miss Muddy Paws said...

The way the shades of pink overlap and play in the sky reminds me of making tie dye shirts as a little girl, the rays of sun make me think of the Heavens, and the water makes me think of summers spent in Vermont on the lake.

I thought tie dyed heaven.

ocmist said...

Flaming Dragon in the sky

I LOVE looking at God's pallet and His beautiful paintings. You should see some of the pics my son has taken. One of the favorite games I used to play with my kids when they were young was to see what we could see in the clouds...

Followers